We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Cannot start service W3SVC on computer '.'. [Answered]RSS

18 replies

Last post Feb 05, 2013 05:47 AM by perythoms

• Cannot start service W3SVC on computer '.'.

Sep 02, 2008 09:37 PM|melodyrain|LINK

Hi everybody, I have encountered this problem when I want to restart IIS 7.0 after I stop it using CMD. When I click "start", there is an error message tells "Cannot start service W3SVC on computer '.'.". I google about this problem and try all the solution that I can find but this problem still not solved. I tried "net start W3SVC" but got "System error 1068 has occurred. The dependency service or group failed to start". I have installed apache, PHP and Perl after I stopped IIS. Will this do anything to this problem? This problem really makes me headache. Anyone has any thoughts? I will be really appreciated if someone can help me solve this problem.
  • Re: Cannot start service W3SVC on computer '.'.

Sep 03, 2008 02:18 AM|anilr|LINK

Can you try starting the dependent services using "net start was" and "net start http" - also any events in the event log regarding this?

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Sep 03, 2008 02:37 AM|melodyrain|LINK

Thank you for your reply.

I tried what you told me. the "http" has been started. When I tried "net start was", I got error message:

"The windows process activation service service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 13 has occurred.

The data is invalid."

And could you tell me where can I find the event log?

Thank you!

Sep 03, 2008 02:44 AM|melodyrain|LINK

I remember one thing:

I tried to reinstall IIS twice by getting the same error message every time the installing progress is going to finished. The error message is like (I cannot remember clearly):

"Not all of the features are installed successfully"

Cheers

Sep 03, 2008 03:30 AM|mukhtard|LINK

One reason this(System error 13) can happen is if your config for some reason gets messed up.

Can you try to completely uninstall IIS and then try to re-install it again. That should most likely fix this error.

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

Sep 03, 2008 06:15 AM|melodyrain|LINK

Thank you mukhtard.

What do you mean  by "completely uninstall IIS"? I think I have done this twice. Or did I miss something? Could you give me any tips about "completely uninstall IIS"? Thank you!

Sep 03, 2008 08:33 AM|steve schofield|LINK

servermanagercmd -remove web-server

Reboot and type

Installs basic web server

servermanagercmd -install web-server

or 

This will install all features.

servermanagercmd -install web-server -a

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Sep 03, 2008 08:52 AM|qbernard|LINK

Mm... pls check -remove web-server take out WAS as well, if not when you have 'take out' IIS. I would also clean up WAS by uninstalling it as well, then reboot and reinstall IIS.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Sep 03, 2008 07:55 PM|melodyrain|LINK

Thank you!

I tried to use the command you gave me, but it seems that there is no "servermanagercmd.exe" in my system. BTW, I am using Vista Ultimate.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sep 03, 2008 07:57 PM|melodyrain|LINK

And I haven't installed Exchange 2008 in my computer.

Sep 03, 2008 09:29 PM|mukhtard|LINK

If you are running Vista then you will not have servermanagercmd.exe on your machine. It is part of Windows 2008. Coming to your problem, please try the following from an elevated command prompt:

appwiz.cpl -> Turn windows features on or off -> Uncheck Internet Information Services and Windows Process Activation Service

Restart your machine.

Run appwiz.cpl again and install both Internet Information Services and Windows Process Activation Service.

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

Sep 03, 2008 10:10 PM|melodyrain|LINK

mukhtard

If you are running Vista then you will not have servermanagercmd.exe on your machine. It is part of Windows 2008. Coming to your problem, please try the following from an elevated command prompt:

appwiz.cpl -> Turn windows features on or off -> Uncheck Internet Information Services and Windows Process Activation Service

Restart your machine.

Run appwiz.cpl again and install both Internet Information Services and Windows Process Activation Service.

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

Thank you so much!!

I did not uninstalled "Windows Process Activation Service" before you told me.

Now it works! Every thing is going well! Thank you again!

Cheers

Hank

Nov 07, 2009 01:41 AM|hemant.yadav|LINK

hi

i was getting the same problem on vista system.

you just need to stop all the services if there has any messenger running on system and reboot the system it will work.

i have the same problem and its working for me..

Hemant Yadav Software Developer
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you

Mar 11, 2010 05:52 PM|david.clyant|LINK

hi there, I'm having a similar problem, but none of the above work. It seems that I cannot untick IIS in the control panel/windows programs and features. I must admit I'm stuck!

I can successfully run development websites using the in-built virtual server of VS2008 express, but http://localhost comes up with errors of no useful messages.

Any ideas out there??

Cheers

Dai

Mar 11, 2010 11:26 PM|hemant.yadav|LINK

Hi David

The reason of this error is Port used by IIS is already uses by some other process. by default 80 number port used by iis but some time some other processes like messenger or skype using that same port so what you need to do just exit from those messenger and close the services of those messenger and start the IIS if you are using messenger like skype or gtalk or msn etc. other wise restart your system and start your IIS you will definatly able to use IIS server your local host. if still have same problem change IIS port like 81 or 82 and start using local host this will work...

Even still have problem send me message...!

Hemant Yadav Software Developer
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you

Mar 13, 2010 06:08 PM|david.clyant|LINK

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, yes I was/am using messenger and shutting it down made no difference. But I found the reason after a little(!) bit of hunting on the net. I've recently installed sp1 of vista and hadn't realised that it had stopped working afterwards. I then found this little gem tucked away:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954876

I included the section et voila, the thing started up.

Then of course I started tinkering with the applicationHost.config file to get the best setup, and it stopped working again. Found that commenting out the fastCGI setting sorted that out too.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Cheers for now

David

Sep 13, 2012 04:00 PM|Anil Annigeri|LINK

1. Open Services.msc form run command. 2. Check if Windows Activation Service is in STOPPING status .. If yes then proceed.. 3. Open Task Manager and select the Services Tab in it 4. You may see Windows Activation Service.. Right click and stop it (If it gives error) 5. Right click and check for child thread ... If possible stop it ( Then stop WAS) 6. Then start WAS from Services.msc... Now it must possibly start... Gist: WAS was not able to stop bze of some thread was running..

Oct 27, 2012 02:06 PM|eossipov|LINK

Hi, guys, Did I miss where the solution for win7 was posted? Same error, different os. And I'm dying to try the new shtuff man, shtuff :) default website bindings: http:*:80, tcp:808*, netpipe:*, netmsmq:localhost, msmq.formatname.localhost enable protocols, only http

IIS7 Windows 7 r2 and all those wonderful new products/api's they released today. win 2008

Feb 05, 2013 05:47 AM|perythoms|LINK

For solved this problem I can suggest a source where all sollution are available about computer servicing. Here... www.affordableteks.com Take a look here it's may help you.