FPSE 2002 on Win 2008 server --> Service Unavailable [Answered]RSS

26 replies

Last post Dec 02, 2011 08:44 AM by CoastalData

• FPSE 2002 on Win 2008 server --> Service Unavailable

Jul 18, 2008 12:01 PM|mile72|LINK

Greetings,

I have just installed FPSE 2008 on a Win 2008 server.

When I go to the IIS 7 management console and to the Microsoft SharePoint Administration site and try to open the Server Administration page I only get the HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable page.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve the problem?

Have a good one

Mile

• Re: FPSE 2002 on Win 2008 server --> Service Unavailable

Jul 22, 2008 11:38 PM|Zhao Ji Ma - MSFT|LINK

Hi Mile,

You will encounter Servie Unavailable error when the application pool is not running, the full error message is like the following.

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The servie is unavailable.

For Microsoft Sharepoint Administration site, please make sure MSSharePointAppPool has been started. Select Application Pools node in IIS 7 Manager, you can see an application pool call MSSharePointAppPool. The status field indicates the current status of the application pool. Click MSSharePointAppPool, then you will see Start/Stop actions under the Application Pool Tasks on the pane of the right side in IIS 7 Manager.

You may also receive Service Unavailable error when concurrent request limit exceeded, but it doesn't looks like your case, you can see The HTTP Status code in IIS 7.0 for reference.

Zhao Ji Ma
    Sincerely,
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Jul 23, 2008 01:23 AM|mile72|LINK

Thanks for you reply!

You where right, the MSSharePointAppPool was stopped!

But when I start it and the status go from stopped to started in the statur bar I still get the same error message with service unavilable when I try to access it.

When I go back to check the status of the MSSharePointAppPool under Application Pools, it is back to stopped?

Anything else I have overlooked?

Mile

Jul 23, 2008 01:27 PM|anilr|LINK

Look in the application and/or system event-logs - it should contain events regarding why the app-pool was stopped.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Jul 23, 2008 04:03 PM|mile72|LINK

It did, and it seem to be the following problem:

Web sites and Web applications depend on the availability of Internet Information Services (IIS) application pools. IIS application pools in turn depend on the Windows Process Activation Service (WAS). If WAS is not running or errors occur during the startup or shutdown of an application pool, Web sites and Web applications may not be available

I wasen't able to Activate Windows 2008 because of some DNS problem. And to be honest I diden't really care as this is only a test server to learn a bit about Win 2008 server before I upgrade my production servers.

I'll did a bit deeper to solve the DNS problem, and I assume that the FPSE problem will solve itself when I get the activation right.

I appreciate all help, thaks a lot guys!!

Mile

Jul 23, 2008 04:19 PM|anilr|LINK

Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) has nothing to do with windows activation - what were the event log entries you saw in the event log.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Jul 23, 2008 04:34 PM|mile72|LINK

ID 5002

Description:
    Application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Mile

Jul 23, 2008 04:43 PM|anilr|LINK

Nothing before that regarding specific failures?

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Jul 23, 2008 05:02 PM|mile72|LINK

Yes I do, I actually get 5 warnings with event id 5139 right before I get the event id 5002 error:

A listener channel for protocol 'http' in worker process '6552' serving application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.

A listener channel for protocol 'http' in worker process '412' serving application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.

A listener channel for protocol 'http' in worker process '3456' serving application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.

A listener channel for protocol 'http' in worker process '3456' serving application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.

A listener channel for protocol 'http' in worker process '6164' serving application pool 'MSSharePointAppPool' reported a listener channel failure. The data field contains the error number.

Mile

Jul 23, 2008 06:01 PM|anilr|LINK

Getting warmer :) - what is in the data field - also look in the application event log for other events corresponding to these.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Jul 24, 2008 01:22 AM|mile72|LINK

Yes, it feels like we are moving in the right direction at leas :-)

I have corresponding events in the application log, they state:
    Source: ISS-W3SVC-WP
    Event ID: 2280
    The Module DLL C:\Windows\system32\RpcProxy\RpcProxy.dll failed to load. The data is the error.

Mile

Jul 25, 2008 04:18 PM|anilr|LINK

What is the data (error code) in the event?  You may have to go to "detailed view" or "XML view" to see it.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Jul 25, 2008 06:19 PM|mile72|LINK

Under detailed view I find the following:

- EventData

<div>
    AppPoolID MSSharePointAppPool
    ProcessID 748
    param3 0
    ProtocolID http
    7E000780
    </div>

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 8007007E

In Bytes

0000: 7E 00 07 80

I get 5 of these warnings in the system log. Beside the process ID the warnings are the same. The prosess ID's are: 748, 8904, 3444, 3148 and 7348.

In additian to this I get 5 errors in the application log with the following information under detailed view:

- EventData

<div>
    ModuleDll C:\Windows\system32\RpcProxy\RpcProxy.dll
    7E000000
    </div>

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 0000007E

In Bytes

0000: 7E 00 00 00

All the errors are identical in the application log.

Mile

Jul 27, 2008 08:20 PM|Boot_Dev|LINK

I'm having the same exact challenges.  Fresh install with SQL 2008.  I'm using to test some app's and get familiar with Srv08/Sql08/ and IIS 7 for Production Env.

Jul 28, 2008 01:53 PM|anilr|LINK

This means that this dll (or one of its dependencies) is not found - you can see if the dll itself is missing (by using dir) or its dependencies (by using procmon) or remove the ISAPI filter from IIS configuration if you do not need it.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5474 Posts

MVP

Re: FPSE 2002 on Win 2008 server --> Service Unavailable

Jul 28, 2008 02:20 PM|Rovastar|LINK

anilr

This means that this dll (or one of its dependencies) is not found - you can see if the dll itself is missing (by using dir) or its dependencies (by using procmon) or remove the ISAPI filter from IIS configuration if you do not need it.

I also imagine this could also mean that the dll (or a dependency) is not registered. You could get similar error behaviour if this is the case.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Aug 14, 2008 12:17 AM|moomee0202|LINK

Hey Mile,

I have the same exact problem. Did you ever find a solution?

moomee

mile72

Greetings,

I have just installed FPSE 2008 on a Win 2008 server.

When I go to the IIS 7 management console and to the Microsoft SharePoint Administration site and try to open the Server Administration page I only get the HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable page.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve the problem?

Have a good one

Mile

Sep 03, 2008 02:16 PM|markcutter|LINK

We are having similar problems.  We have 3 new Win2008 servers that we are trying to put into production.  We've been testing everything out on one that is dedicated to development, and it has been running fine for 2 mos up until yesterday.  One of the apps we were in final stages of testing was trying to open an Excel spreadsheet and throwing an exception 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine'.  Google found links that 32-bit apps needed to be enabled for the appPool.  As soon as we did this then the appPool shut down giving the 503 Service Unavailable error, with the following events

AppEvent 2280 RpcProxy.dll failed to load.
    SysEvent 5139 Listener channel failure

within hours all other websites on the dev server also shut down!  At this point we are completely down, as this has impacted our bug tracking, source code control, CMS site, etc.  Turning 32-bit off doesn't help.  Tried restarting appPools, WAS, webservice all without resolution.  ProcMon shows a couple of dozen Name Not Found results, but nothing definitive.  IIS is running under NetworkService

Sep 03, 2008 03:29 PM|anilr|LINK

rpcproxy.dll is not supported in 32-bit mode on 64-bit OS - if you need to run in 32-bit mode - please look at this thread for your options regarding this.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Sep 03, 2008 05:10 PM|markcutter|LINK

Thanks for this pointer to the other thread, Anil.  We independently uninstalled IIS7 and then reinstalled it without rpc/http (simply because we weren't using it) and the problem went away.  Original problem with the Jet engine also went away.

In doing this we were surprised to find that there is no way to export the IIS config and then import it again.  We found Export Configuration in IIS | Management | Shared Configuration, but no way to import it.  I guess we could have just run the shared configuration.

Sep 03, 2008 05:18 PM|anilr|LINK

"appcmd add backup" and "appcmd restore backup" provides ability todo backup restore - there is also auto-backup created periodically which you can restore using appcmd - you cannot export part of the configuration and import it though.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Sep 05, 2008 04:37 AM|mile72|LINK

Greetings all,

Let me first apologize for me late reply, but I've been on holiday :-)

I tried to uninstall RPC over HTTP on my server and after that FPSE worked 100%. Just wanted to let everybody know that it solved my problem and also say thanks to everyone included...

Best for the day to you all!!

Sep 10, 2008 06:14 PM|bdinerman|LINK

I am a new user to the FPSE product, and am experiencing the exact same problem with identical error messages.  I do NOT have any SQL Server involved on my system, however.  I also do not have any ISAPI filters configured for the SharePoint Web site that this product creates.  Yet the AppPool keeps stopping and this prevents the product from working.

Sounds like there's a real bug here!

-Brad

Sep 10, 2008 06:29 PM|bdinerman|LINK

OK, I should have read the previous post about removing RPC proxy more closely.  I did that and now the FPSE work as indicated.  Of course, now my TS Gateway is disabled, so nothing is ever quite easy.

-Brad

Sep 15, 2008 11:51 AM|danlopez007|LINK

Can you go deeper on using PROCMON to decern this problem.

Thanks

Sep 15, 2008 12:10 PM|bdinerman|LINK

I have actually decided not to use this product.  Given that my server was straight out-of-the-box with no complicating software beteween the FPSE 2002 and the OS itself, and the fact that the vendor wanted me to pay $400 per hour for support on getting this working, I have decided that this is not a viable product... at least not for me.

I disentagled FrontPage server extensions from my multiple sites over the weekend and am now using WebDAV instead.

Thank you for the offer of help anyway...

FPSE WebDAV publish website iis

Dec 02, 2011 08:44 AM|CoastalData|LINK

Hey there, 3 years later, and I'm trying to figure out, how did you disable the RPC proxy and get FPSE working? I'd also noticed that it was tied to TS Gateway, but simply disabling those services did not get things working as desired.