IIS Manager Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)RSS

56 replies

Last post Oct 17, 2019 03:50 PM by Leo Louis

• IIS Manager Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process...

Mar 13, 2007 02:16 PM|kjetilso|LINK

This is IIS 7 in Windows Vista Ultimate. The web site is stopped and when I try to start it the error message (in subject) appears.

In EventLog(System) I get the following following errors:

Source: HttpEvent

Msg: Unable to bind to the underlying transport for [::]:80. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Source: IIS-W3SVC

Msg: The World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW Service) did not register the URL prefix http://*:80/ for site 1. The site has been disabled. The data field contains the error number.

I'm at a loss. I have no clue as to what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: IIS Manager Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another pro...

Mar 13, 2007 02:47 PM|ApurvaJoshi|LINK

This is an issue with binding conflict. There is another application that is using port 80. If you change the bindings for the default website to 8080 [for test purpose] it will work.

You can run NETSTAT -ano and find out the PID for the process that is using port 80, then you can compare that PID with the process name in task manager [may be skype.exe?]

HTH,

AJ

• Re: IIS Manager Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another pro...

Mar 13, 2007 02:55 PM|kjetilso|LINK

Thank you, that solved it.

Mar 21, 2007 11:08 AM|tmayville|LINK

LOL.. Thanks for the heads up.. I just loaded skype and was having problems after this... Been pulling my hair out trying to get to the root cause, I did the netstat and found a listener on 80 but the pid really didn't give a good indication...

I wanna move skype off 80... That seems to be a better method since I have control of my router... I might just delay start skype so IIS will own the port first, see if that causes "Smart Skype" to move off the port...

Anyway, Thank you! I didn't think skype was on it...

Tm. 

Mar 26, 2007 04:29 AM|qbernard|LINK

Yes, skype will change to other port if 80 is taken.

I have been using IIS and skype for quite sometime.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Feb 20, 2008 11:32 AM|Quame|LINK

Hi, I have a similar issue and the solution on this post did not resolve my problem. Port 80 doesnt seem to be used by any program after running netstat -ano. I also changed the binding from 80 to 8080 just to try that and I still got the same error. I really need help as I have a site that I want to put up. Can someone help me resolve this issue PLEASE. I just cant start the default IIS website.

Feb 23, 2008 11:54 PM|steve schofield|LINK

I would turn off all related IIS services, set them to manual, reboot your machine and type netstat -an -p tcp and see if anything is listening on port 80.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Apr 05, 2008 02:09 PM|GKB|LINK

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've spent hours on the same problem, then read your forum and sorted within minutes.

My problem was not skype but Kontiki hogging port 80.

:)

May 10, 2008 07:06 AM|shailensukul|LINK

Thank you for the pointer.

Skype was indeed hogging port 80 and turning it off solved my problem as well.

With Regards

Shailen Sukul
    Software Architect/Developer/Consultant/Trainer
    (BSc|Mct|Mcpd (.Net 2/3.5/SharePoint 2010)|Mcts (Sharepoint 2010/MOSS/WSS), Biztalk, Web, Win, Dist Apps)|Mcitp(SharePoint Administrator 2010 )|Mcsd.NET|Mcsd|Mcad)

May 30, 2008 10:01 PM|sams5|LINK

Thanks this has solved my problem in starting the Default Web Site.

But when i tried to host the web site .. Im rec Service Unavailable 503 Error.

Both the IIS server and Default Website are running.

Suggestions my apperciated

- Sam

May 31, 2008 12:44 AM|steve schofield|LINK

did you reset IIS and make sure nothing was contending for port 80?  Check the httperr logs to see what error you are seeing. 

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Jun 15, 2008 05:17 AM|Loai.Darwish|LINK

Thanks guys, same problem with me here.

Solved now.

thanks again.

Nov 11, 2008 09:52 PM|Nikoj|LINK

I did netstat -ano and got this

TCP    0.0.0.0:42             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3540
    TCP    0.0.0.0:53             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1460
    TCP    0.0.0.0:80             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1336
    TCP    0.0.0.0:81             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3792
    TCP    0.0.0.0:82             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3792
    TCP    0.0.0.0:88             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       452

I didnt know what was pid 1336 i killed it, when i tried to start the wesite same error: cant start blablabla. And when i do netstat -ano it shows again, but when i try to kill it again id says that it dont exist.Any solution?

Sorry for my bad english 

Nov 12, 2008 08:23 AM|qbernard|LINK

shows again? what PID then? what program is that ?

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 12, 2008 08:25 AM|Nikoj|LINK

The same PID. It says http when i do -ao.

But when i try to kill it says that it doesnt exisit that pid its wierd 

Nov 12, 2008 08:28 AM|qbernard|LINK

the program id 1336 is HTTP? what is that? not inetinfo.exe ? can you get process explorer to find out what is that program binding to port 80? maybe it auto restart when u killed it.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 12, 2008 08:45 AM|Nikoj|LINK

Apache.exe, a feel so stupid

Nov 12, 2008 08:47 AM|qbernard|LINK

@@ glad you found it.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 12, 2008 09:05 AM|Nikoj|LINK

I forgot to say thank you, thank you! 

Nov 12, 2008 10:44 AM|Nikoj|LINK

Sorry again me, i dont want to open another topic i want to ask another thing:) Well now everything works fine exept the php i will handle with that later. When i try to open the website local it works fine. But, when i try to open the website from another computer not connected to the server it says:

The server at ****** is taking too long to respond.
    # The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
        moments.

#   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
        connection.

#   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
        that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Any help about this?:D Thank you 

Nov 12, 2008 01:31 PM|steve schofield|LINK

If it works locally, but not remotely.  It's most likely a local firewall or router blocking port 80.  On your remote box type , telnet x.x.x.x 80 (replace x.x.x.x with real ip address) and see if you have a black screen.  This will tell if connectivity is there. 

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Nov 13, 2008 09:09 AM|Nikoj|LINK

Thank you very much m8. I set my server except i cannot test now php because i got error like this:

You do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

This is my last asking help question here :D If you can answer ill be thankfull a lot :D

Thanks

Nov 14, 2008 05:16 PM|ma_khan|LINK

if you get this when you try to browse the page ... check if the IIS ID's have the proper permissions on the resource...

Jan 05, 2009 05:49 PM|billfrank38|LINK

I have a similar problem with a Small Business Server 2003.  The IIS service cannot be started and after following KB 890015 I don't find any processes using port 80 from netstat -anop TCP.  When I check the registry for the ListenOnlyList, there isn't a value, it is not present indicating the default setting of 0.0.0.0.  However, I did look at the running processes in Taskmgr and noticed that the Apache.exe is shown.

Any suggestions for this situation?

Jan 06, 2009 07:21 AM|qbernard|LINK

Err... so either make apache binds on other port or make sure IIS and apache bind to different IP.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jan 06, 2009 07:35 AM|steve schofield|LINK

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Jan 11, 2009 08:38 PM|madgts4|LINK

I am having the same problem. I have 3 test/development site setup on a serve.  They are using ports 1028, 1029 and 1030. Recently, 2 of sites automatically stop and when trying to restart I get the same error.

I have change the ports and then after a day, the same thing happens.  I have run netstat -ano and found that "cimlistener" is using those ports. 

TCP    127.0.0.1:1028         127.0.0.1:1029         ESTABLISHED     1292
     TCP    127.0.0.1:1029         127.0.0.1:1028         ESTABLISHED     1292

I just find it strange that even if I change the ports, they lock up.  Any suggestions ?

Jan 12, 2009 09:14 AM|qbernard|LINK

So there you go.. that cimlistener program is conflicting with the port you using.

You can either use other port say 8080, 8081 which not so commonly used by others. or if you are using server OS, setup multiple site with single IP on the same port 80 via different host header.. google for more info.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jan 16, 2009 02:54 PM|ptroy|LINK

I am having the same problem and getting the same error as most are talking about on here. Tried all suggestions and found the only thing using port 80 is 127.0.0.1 which would be my localhost I believe. Anyways, would this cause the error I am getting? I'm trying to learn some stuff about IIS as we haven't had any coursework yet in web development for my MIS degree. I have port forwarding setup on my router for port 80, and don't think this would be causing the error. Any suggestions?

Jan 16, 2009 07:13 PM|steve schofield|LINK

type netstat -ano and see the PID numbers.  Open task manager and see what process is using it.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Jan 18, 2009 12:29 AM|qbernard|LINK

Tried all suggestions? what are those? what's the output of netstat -ano ?

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Aug 11, 2009 12:05 PM|hedrinjt|LINK

After using some of the suggestions here I have found that process 0 is the process that is tied to port 443 which i am trying to free up so that my iis part of my exchange server can run.  This process is part of the system idle processes and I really don't want to kill that process.  Not sure how to move forward from here.

Aug 11, 2009 12:29 PM|anilr|LINK

What do the following commands (from an elevated command prompt) say?

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe list sites
    netsh http show servicestate

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Aug 11, 2009 12:42 PM|hedrinjt|LINK

First Command:

SITE "Default Web Site" (id:1,bindings:net.tcp/808:*,net.pipe/*,net.msmq/localhost,msmq.formatname/localhost,https/*:443:,state:Stopped)
    SITE "Redirect Site" (id:2,bindings:http/*:80:,state:Stopped) 

Second Command is a bit longer:

Snapshot of HTTP service state (Server Session View):
    -----------------------------------------------------

Server session ID: FD00000320000001
        Version: 1.0
        State: Active
        Properties:
            Max bandwidth: 4294967295
            Timeouts:
                Entity body timeout (secs): 120
                Drain entity body timeout (secs): 120
                Request queue timeout (secs): 120
                Idle connection timeout (secs): 120
                Header wait timeout (secs): 120
                Minimum send rate (bytes/sec): 150
        URL groups:
        URL group ID: FC00000340000001
            Request queue name: Request queue is unnamed.
            Properties:
                Max bandwidth: inherited
                Max connections: inherited
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited

Server session ID: FF00000220000003
        Version: 2.0
        Properties:
            Max bandwidth: 4294967295
            Timeouts:
                Request queue timeout (secs): 65535
                Header wait timeout (secs): 120
                Minimum send rate (bytes/sec): 240
        URL groups:
        URL group ID: FE00000240000001
            Request queue name: DefaultAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: FD00000240000001
            Request queue name: MSExchangeServicesAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: FC00000240000001
            Properties:
                Max connections: 4294967295
                Timeouts:
                    Header wait timeout (secs): 0
                    Minimum send rate (bytes/sec): 0
                Logging information:
                    Log directory: C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1
                    Log format: 0
        URL group ID: FB00000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: FA00000240000001
            Request queue name: MSExchangeOWAAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
                Authentication Configuration:
                    Authentication schemes enabled:
                        NTLM
                        Negotiate
                    Authentication settings:
                        Receive context handle
        URL group ID: F900000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F800000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F700000240000001
            Request queue name: MSExchangeUMAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F600000240000001
            Request queue name: MSExchangeSyncAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F500000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F400000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F300000240000001
            Request queue name: MSExchangeAutodiscoverAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F200000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F100000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: F000000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: EF00000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: EE00000240000001
            Properties:
                Max connections: 4294967295
                Timeouts:
                    Header wait timeout (secs): 0
                    Minimum send rate (bytes/sec): 0
                Logging information:
                    Log directory: C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC2
                    Log format: 0
        URL group ID: ED00000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: EC00000240000001
            State: Inactive
            Request queue name: RemotingAppPool
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: EB00000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: EA00000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited
        URL group ID: E900000240000001
            Properties:
                Timeouts:
                    Timeout values inherited

Request queues:
            Request queue 503 verbosity level: Limited
            Max requests: 1000
            Number of active processes attached: 0
            Controller process ID: 4044
            Process IDs:

Number of active processes attached: 1
            Process IDs:

Process IDs:

Request queue name: RemotingAppPool
            Process IDs:

Process IDs:

Process IDs:

Request queue name: MSExchangeSyncAppPool
            Process IDs:

Request queue name: Request queue is unnamed.
            Version: 1.0
            Request queue 503 verbosity level: Basic
            Number of active processes attached: 1
            Process IDs:

Aug 11, 2009 01:07 PM|hedrinjt|LINK

First command:

SITE "Default Web Site" (id:1,bindings:net.tcp/808:*,net.pipe/*,net.msmq/localhost,msmq.formatname/localhost,https/*:443:,state:Stopped)
    SITE "Redirect Site" (id:2,bindings:http/*:80:,state:Started)

Second Command:

Aug 11, 2009 01:28 PM|hedrinjt|LINK

The redirect site listed above works fine.  I can connect to that just fine but the first site does not.

Aug 14, 2009 02:38 PM|anilr|LINK

What exactly is running in process-id 1080?

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Aug 14, 2009 05:06 PM|hedrinjt|LINK

I apologize, usually I double and triple check the answers given by the experts but I guess this time I asked an extra question to soon.  With the tools provided in the previous posts I was able to come across a PCHelpware process that was grabbing control of port 443 before IIS.  Thanks for your reply anilr.  And rest of forum.

Sep 29, 2009 12:25 AM|goody_buddy|LINK

Very helpful post.

cheers!
    Guru

Oct 28, 2009 02:01 PM|pavan0384|LINK

Can you people help me out in this one...

I can't see any thing on my IIS manager. There is no default website, just i want to know how to store websites in iis manger.

And i am using the WINDOWS VISTA Home premium.  I enabled everything in iis manger, is located in windows feature.

Oct 28, 2009 08:42 PM|qbernard|LINK

Any error msgs during turn on/off the IIS component?
    And when you fire up IIS Manager, you got nothing? no app pool, default website /etc.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Oct 29, 2009 08:36 AM|hedrinjt|LINK

qbernard

Any error msgs during turn on/off the IIS component?
    And when you fire up IIS Manager, you got nothing? no app pool, default website /etc.

You may want to uninstall iis and reinstall it, doesn't sound like its default settings are correct.

Apr 21, 2010 02:02 AM|Doron.Ma|LINK

skype.exe was the problem

stop skype and restart iis

Thanks

Oct 19, 2010 11:45 AM|arvin330|LINK

Great stuff!! saved me hours of troubleshooting :) Thank You

Oct 25, 2011 08:58 AM|dwijay|LINK

skype was screwing my iis was also, goto skype settings and uncheck the checkbox in advanced. IIs works then.....

Oct 27, 2011 01:48 AM|qbernard|LINK

Mm.. I'm so curious about your OS and the Skype's version.

I did a test last week on a R2, and wanted to use skype on the box, so I deploy it.
    out of the box everything work fine :) by now skype installer should be 'smart' enough to bind to the port 80 anymore.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jan 13, 2012 09:45 AM|Sebastian.Castaldi|LINK

my issue was with Teamviewer blocking 443 :)

Feb 28, 2012 04:24 AM|Slayer_Prao|LINK

HI,

i get this stupid error, but this is not a solution for me the ports im getting is following:

UDP    172.30.248.95:53       *:*                                    1180
    UDP    172.30.248.95:67       *:*                                    1160
    UDP    172.30.248.95:68       *:*                                    1160
    UDP    172.30.248.95:69       *:*                                    3724
    UDP    172.30.248.95:137      *:*                                    4
    UDP    172.30.248.95:138      *:*                                    4
    UDP    172.30.248.95:2535     *:*                                    1160
    UDP    172.30.248.95:4011     *:*                                    3724
    UDP    172.30.248.95:5041     *:*                                    3724
    UDP    [::]:123               *:*                                    856
    UDP    [::]:1434              *:*                                    1728
    UDP    [::]:54853             *:*                                    1180
    UDP    [::1]:53               *:*                                    1180
    UDP    [::1]:69               *:*                                    3724
    UDP    [::1]:5041             *:*                                    3724
    UDP    [::1]:54851            *:*                                    1180

if i change port to *8080 there's no problem but with 80 it just wont work .. i dont have skype installed or any other of those programs. Just got a simple sccm installation on my 2008 R2 x64 server. 

// Ola

Feb 29, 2012 01:52 AM|qbernard|LINK

what about the TCP ports binding, you only list UDP.

HTTP is on TCP. you running 'netstat -ano' ?

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Mar 02, 2012 01:25 AM|kctt|LINK

Use command netstat -n to list all connections.

Filter port 80 -> netstat -ano | findstr :80

Mar 02, 2012 09:34 AM|Sebastian.Castaldi|LINK

you are looking in the wrong place, look at the task manager and see the apps running, if you can't see it, start killing one by one until it works... most likely is a service

Mar 04, 2012 05:41 AM|qbernard|LINK

Should only kill the one that is binding on port 80, hence the netstat -ano command,  killing all one by one will only put the system in unstable stage.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Feb 18, 2014 05:37 AM|zahidkakar|LINK

The problem is with Binding port. To change the binding port:

1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    2. Select the Web site that you wish to configure.
    3. In the Action pane, click Bindings.
    4. Click Add to add a new site binding, or click Edit to change an existing binding.
    5. Click OK to apply the changes.

asp.net iis deployment

Nov 06, 2014 01:13 AM|kbmanoj|LINK

Change the web site port no by default it's 80 change some other 

Feb 25, 2015 03:06 PM|victor.diaz|LINK

Hi,

In my case, i only quit of skype and work fine.

Regards

skype iis

Víctor E. Díaz
    Representaciones Multiples
    Tegucigalpa, Honduras C.A.
    C# Developer

Aug 07, 2015 04:24 AM|Moumit Mondal|LINK

Quit of skype worked for me too .. Upssss .. at-last... tried so much ..Cry

skype iis

Oct 17, 2019 03:50 PM|Leo Louis|LINK

Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
    ---------------------------
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
    OK  

C:\Users\>netstat -aon |find ":8089"
      TCP    0.0.0.0:8089           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       1556

I Found splunk uses the same port,  resolved the issue

Thanks