Errors with w3wp.exe and fcgiext.dlll since the installation of FastCGI 1.5 [Answered]RSS

24 replies

Last post Mar 09, 2011 04:30 AM by Samual007

• kehand

kehand

72 Posts

Microsoft

Re: Errors with w3wp.exe and fcgiext.dlll since the installation of FastCGI 1.5

Feb 09, 2010 04:09 PM|kehand|LINK

Julien,

Did drwtsn32 output a dump at the specified location that you could forward to us?

Also, how many requests/min are you averaging for your webserver? We're trying to reproduce the issue in-house. Please let us know.

Thanks,

kehand

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Feb 09, 2010 06:37 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Kehand,

I have had a new error this evening in the Event Viewer after editing the fcgiext.ini file but DrWatson32 does not updated the drwtsn32.log and user.dmp files as desired.

Yet, I have well executed the command drwtsn32 -i and enabled full crash dump and other options. I have set the default directory C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson for the save of the two files.

Do you know why the error does not generate the dump file ?

I send you by mail screenshots.

Bye.

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Feb 09, 2010 06:50 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

At this time, the Windows Performance tool says there is an average of 150 GET requests by second and currently 40 anonymous users.

It is a website very viewed. About 75.000 unique users and 500.000 page views each day.

Hope this help.

• kehand

kehand

72 Posts

Microsoft

Feb 09, 2010 08:39 PM|kehand|LINK

Julien,

The problem is that drwtsn32 is run under the "NETWORK SERVICE" identity, because that is the identity that w3wp.exe is running under (unless it's been changed from the default). 

The C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ folder and all it's subfolders all have ACLs that restrict it to just the Administrator user.

Can you configure drwtsn32 to use a folder that is accessible by NETWORK SERVICE? This can be a temporary folder that is granted rights for the Administrator and NETWORK SERVICE users.

Please let us know.

HTH,

kehand

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Feb 09, 2010 10:52 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hum, ok I see.

I have just created the directory C:\Dr_Watson, added the Network Service, Local Service and even the All Users groups with the good rights but the LOG and DUMP files are not yet created when the error occurs. Of course, I have set the new path in Dr Watson GUI.

My IIS Application Pool use the default identity (Network Service).

Strange, no ?

I have seen there is a bug with Dr Watson and Windows Server 2003 (KB836080) but it concerns only Pre-SP1 systems and I have SP2.

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Feb 11, 2010 10:43 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Kehand,

As I can't generate a dump with Dr Watson, can I try to do it with Debug Diagnostics 1.1 ?

• kehand

kehand

72 Posts

Microsoft

Feb 11, 2010 06:26 PM|kehand|LINK

Hi Julien,

Apologies for the delay in the response. I was trying to figure out why Dr Watson wasn't working for you.

Anyway, using Debug Diagnostics should also suffice. In case that tool doesn't work, another alternative is ADPlus, which is located within the Debugging Tools for Windows package.

Let me know if I can help out.

Thanks,

kehand

• kehand

kehand

72 Posts

Microsoft

Feb 13, 2010 02:11 AM|kehand|LINK

Thanks Julien for the dumps. We are investigating the dumps and trying to figure out the cause. We will update this thread with our findings.

Again, thanks for the help.

kehand

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Mar 04, 2010 05:23 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hi,

No news about my error with FastCGI 1.5 RTW ? I do not like to see these red warnings in the event viewer of my production server :(

Did you reproduced the bug on your server ?

Bye

• ksingla

ksingla

1139 Posts

Microsoft

Mar 05, 2010 12:47 AM|ksingla|LINK

Hi,

Crash dumps indicated that w3wp is hitting "rpc unavailable" exception on your server. I am not sure what is causing this on your server. What all do you have installed on your machine?

Thanks,
    Kanwal

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

Mar 05, 2010 06:38 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

I do not know why RPC would be unavaible. The server is a dedicated webserver so I don't do many things on it except serving PHP web pages. The following softwares are installed and used:

* IIS 6.0 with IIS 6.0 Ressource Kit Tools

* ISAPI Rewrite Lite 0073

* FastCGI 1.5

* PHP 5.3.1 NTS VC9 x86

* WinCache 1.0.1

* MySQL 5.0.86

* hMailServer 5.3.2

* ClamAV 0.95.3

* FileZilla Server 0.9.34

* Dell OpenManage Server Administrator

* .NET FrameWork 2.0 and 3.5

* Visual 2008 C++ Redistributable

* Internet Explorer 8

* WinZip / WinRAR

* Radmin

I think the question is Why I do not have this issue with FastCGI 1.0. What can I yet do to help you fixing this error ?

Bye.

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

May 10, 2010 04:39 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hi,

Just a little message to know if you have solved the bug with FastCGI 1.5 I described in this post ?

I confirm that if I comment the line MonitorChangesTo=C:\php\php.ini in the fcgiext.ini file, I do not have more the errors in the event viewer.

Bye.

• don.raman

don.raman

1208 Posts

Microsoft

May 10, 2010 04:45 PM|don.raman|LINK

Hi,

We were not ale to make mosy out of the dumps you provided. Apparently we thought that the dump was collected when php-cgi.exe already crashed/went away. So we do not have a solution here.

It's good that you confirmed that MonitorChangesTo is the root cause of the problem you are seeing as commenting that feature is allowing you to work well without crashes.

Any chance of getting a good dump.

Thanks,

Don.

• don.raman

don.raman

1208 Posts

Microsoft

May 10, 2010 04:52 PM|don.raman|LINK

Hi Julien,

On a side note with the release of WINCACHE 1.1 Beta2 you no longer need to do the below:

JulienTLD

For the WinCache PHP files notifications, I use the wincache_refresh_if_changed() function. In the php.ini file I have also set wincache.chkinterval = 0 and wincache.ttlmax = 0 . Is there a link between the error and WinCache ?

As we have introduced the concept of FIle Change Notification. You can get rid of this and use default values. Details at http://blogs.iis.net/donraman/archive/2010/04/29/file-change-notification-support-on-wincache-1-1-beta2.aspx. Please change it back to default values or comment out these entries if your file system supports File Change Notification.

Thanks,

Don.

• JulienTLD

JulienTLD

106 Posts

May 10, 2010 05:20 PM|JulienTLD|LINK

Thanks for your answer Don.

Do you want I try to collect a new dump file after enabling MonitorChangesTo ?

The MonitorChangesTo was a very useful function for me. It's a pity.

Yes, I have read last week the release notes about WinCache 1.1 beta 2. I do not install it for the moment because my server is under production but the new file change notification mechanism is a very good news! After installing the 1.1 final version (any date estimated ?), I will remove the settings I have added in effect.

Other good news, I have seen that the problem I reported you concerning web garden has been fixed. I will be able to reactive this function on my server. Great!

Bye.

• don.raman

don.raman

1208 Posts

Microsoft

May 10, 2010 07:27 PM|don.raman|LINK

Yes, please try creating the dumps again.

I would say Beta2 is worth trying. Try it for few days (it's pretty stable) and will also help us having a more stable final release. Otherwise you may encounter a bug when moving to final released bits. So trying it now for few days is not a bad idea.

We are planning to do the final release by end of June or early July.

Thanks,

Don.

• Samual007

Samual007

6 Posts

Mar 09, 2011 04:30 AM|Samual007|LINK

We all know that the IIS team has released some new thing to web the FastCGI Extension 1.5 for IIS 6.0 and IIS 5.1. This version is depend on FastCGI Extension 1.0 and we can say that its a advance version of it. it is officially supported by Microsoft, that is its a Microsoft product. This are the some common errors which occurs many times, so what to do is we have to take the stable release of PHP 5.3 out for a while, the only procefure to  install PHP 5.3 on IIS is through a CGI Handler. PHP 5.2 and earlier allowed us to run PHP using ISAPI, but that option has been deprecated. For those of us intending to move forward, we would have to use CGI from now on.  We’ll go over installing the FastCGI handler on IIS 6.0. hope it will help!!!

• ‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›