IIS 7 & IIS 8
Application Request Routing (ARR)
Last post May 06, 2012 09:16 AM by MaddyKu
Jan 13, 2009 05:24 PM|LINK
I'm receiving several 502.3 while going through ARR to a SharePoint farm. Here's what I found from the failed request trace log:
HttpReason Bad Gateway
Any ideas of what I should be looking at?
Jan 21, 2009 12:34 AM|LINK
Could you check a couple of items.
1) Do you see anything in the event log?
2) Do you know the size of the response header?
Application Request Routing
Jan 21, 2009 07:01 PM|LINK
That error code in ERROR_WINHTTP_OPERATION_CANCELLED which would probably indicate that you hit one of the configured timeout? Does the timestamps on the freb log agree with that?
Jan 21, 2009 08:41 PM|LINK
I found that the time elapsed time reported in the failed request log went just over the the timeout specified in the proxy configuration. So the issue was with the SharePoint site being accessed which agrees with what you're saying.
I'm now seeing the following:
HttpReason Internal Server Error
ErrorCode The operation completed successfully. (0x0)
Is this 500 thrown by ARR because the web application being requested returned a 500 or is it ARR itself that is crashing?
Thanks for your help!
Jan 29, 2009 12:02 AM|LINK
That by itself does not give me enough information to even make a guess - can you send me a complete freb log with that error in it at anil (dot) ruia (at) microsoft (dot) com
Jul 06, 2009 10:12 PM|LINK
I stumbled upon this post when I started getting the same error and I wanted to let everyone know what fixed it. We were running some hefty test apps (e.g. CommunityServer). The first time compile and install of these apps were causing the 502 error for
us. This post helped me realize that I should be looking at the proxy settings in ARR. Sure enough we had them set for 30 seconds which is just a bit quicker than the time it'd take for those things to get their install done.
Hope this helps someone else
Sep 26, 2009 06:19 PM|LINK
I am getting the same error under heavy load, it seems to be a timeout failure. I can not figure out where to change the timeout setting. Under proxy settings, the timout is set to 290 seconds. I got a lot of this freb logs and every time at this failure
the "Time Taken" is exactly 5000 msec. (ARR1.0, URL Rewrite 1.1, used as reverse proxy for a proprietary application on the same host)
Sep 26, 2009 11:19 PM|LINK
The access violation you are hitting is fixed in ARRv1 localized version released this week - you can download and install the new version from
Sep 30, 2009 02:07 PM|LINK
Thank you, no more w3wp crashes, but i still get the 502.3 error, example:
Sep 30, 2009 04:43 PM|LINK
That error is ERROR_WINHTTP_CANNOT_CONNECT - looks like you are having network connectivity problems with one of the backend server.